Now y'all know I love paper and there's no way I could throw something away as beautiful as my Houstonia collection. I mean, it's Houston on paper. Need I say more? So I have a lot of random things in my casa that I can't get rid of because feelings but I did do some removal of crap on the first weekend of 2016. I went through a lot of drawers and closets removing things I know we no longer need or want. I ended up with two trash bags, a bag & box for Goodwill, and a box of things that can be sold. All of a sudden the office closet was a walkthrough again, haha! Here's a list of things you should be getting rid of in el Año Nuevo to help you open up spaces in your life.
- Oldass makeup because you don't want to end up with some weird fungi growing on the brushes you're using on your face. Eek! Plus, this means you can buy new goodies!!
- Magazines, but not the ones you really love! I'm talking about those oldass Martha Stewart magazines that you told yourself you'd look at later for a recipe or a DIY and they've just been collecting dust. Maybe don't throw away those nice (but old) car magazines or the Popular Science/Photography ones. Those you can definitely keep.
- Negativity. You don't need it. No one does. So get rid of it already. That person that tells you that you don't need any more chocolate in your life. You don't need that type of negativity. How about that person who never applauds you for doing something amazing? Yeah, get rid of them too!
- Books. I'm going to be honest with you and tell you that books don't really get you paid like that. If you're not going to keep them, give them away to a friend/family member or find a place to donate them to.
- Shoes. The stories those oldass shoes would tell if they could speak. Put them down. As in, put them out of their misery and throw them away. Unless they can be donated! Same thing goes for your clothes. Don't keep holey shirts or shorts cause you'll end up looking like Kanye and nobody wants that.
- Underwear and socks. I already spoke about holey stuff above so I guess I could say stretchy here. Get rid of the socks that never stay on right and ladies get rid of those oldass bras that do nada for your girls. Fellas, same goes for your stretchy underwear.
- Kitchen shit. When we moved into Casa de Reed, there was one big Kitchen drawer the previous owners forgot to empty.It was full of wooden and plastic spoons, brand new spatulas, whisks, tongs and such. We threw away what looked like it should have been thrown away years ago. Picked what we wanted to keep and put the rest in a Goodwill box. Might be time for you to do the same.
- Junk drawer or desk drawer. We've always had a junk drawer in our Kitchen. It's where loose screws, pens, chip bag clips go, matches, markers/pens, screwdriver and some other random crap go. This drawer needs to be cleaned out at least once a year. There's nothing like needing a pen and getting one from the junk drawer and it not working. Ugh! I cleaned out my desk junk drawer too and now have tons of room for more paper goodies haha!
- Random mail. Any envelope that you've kept only because you needed to remember the address. I normally tear out the address and put it on my corkboard so that I don't forget it. It's called laziness because I could easily just put it into my phone. Now's the time to do that.
- Last one, unsubscribe from those crazy emails clogging up your inbox. I have a few emails accounts I manage and keeping up with all the news can be tough on me. I'm one of those people who don't like those little notifications on my phone for text, emails or phone calls. I have most of my apps notifications turned off cause I'm OCD about it. A little over a year ago, I met Unroll.me and we've been homies ever since. I hear there's an app for it so it's even easier to manage. Unroll.me helps you unsubscribe with a click of a button and also helps you organize your incoming emails. You can select certain emails to go to your inbox and the rest to be added to a single email from Unroll.me. This helps keep your email count low and you can view all the other emails (stores, restaurants, etc) in a single email.
That's it. Start removing crap from your life now so you don't have to worry about it later!