Oh hai, I'm back for a bit! I wanted to tell you how freaking awesome my weekend was. I was blessed with an invite to Blog Elevated this year. I attended the first one last year here in Houston and it was a blast! This year it was held in Moody Gardens in Galveston, Texas which is about an hour or so from me. I wasn't sure I would attend because the location meant I needed to stay a night there in order to keep me from going back and forth. My bossman was gracious enough to give me the day off Friday so I drove my excitamated butt down there.
If you're a blogger and want to learn new things and mingle with folks that have the same interests as you, I recommend you look into attending a blog conference. I've attended three conferences and I cannot stress how helpful they are. Not only do you learn new things from folks who have been blogging professionally for years but you get to meet people from all over the country who are pretty awesome!
Warning: Heavy photo and text post.
The sessions were great. I felt like they talked about things that I didn't know about or things that I needed a refresher on. The following are a couple of things that stood out in the sessions.
- Everyday moments make for great content!
- Don't be afraid to be silly, if it makes sense!
- If you can't stand behind your content, don't even bother writing it.
- Write about what you love!
- Update your LinkedIn account.
- Don't sabotage yourself. Connecting with folks is important.
- Just because you don't have numbers doesn't mean brands don't want to talk to you.
- Start investing in yourself and learning.
- Ask your peers to share posts for you.
- Good news/Bad News - If you have a blog or website, then your raise becomes effective when you do.
- Trust is a more valuable currency than cash.
- Your blog is your digital real estate. Find ppl (ads and such) that are going to be good tenants.
- Courage is highly involved in doing this blogging business. Don't be afraid to do this and go for the goal. Step outside of your comfort zone.
- Use your picture on Pinterest rather than your logo as your default.
- Make sure the top five boards on Pinterest represent what you're about.
- Vertical images are best for mobile. Pinterest is 75% mobile.
- Don't be too wild with your fonts and colors on Pinterest.
- Late afternoons and evenings tend to be the best time to post on Pinterest. Folks are most available. Worse days to pin are Friday evenings and Saturday mornings.
- Stop using 3rd party schedulers for Facebook! Use those for other social networks.
- View your facebook insights regularly.
- Keep your momentum going. If you post five times a day on Facebook and you stop for a vacation, chances are your numbers will drop.
- You always have the power to say no or to negotiate with brands, especially if they come to you.
- Always remember this is your blog. Your real estate. You have complete control. Don't let anyone tell you what to do with your blog.
- Realize that you are a brand. Companies want to work with you because you have something to offer.
- Search for media kit templates to modify and put those to use for yourself.
- If you want to work with brands, research them first. There could be hidden problems that may hit you negativity.
On to the pictures of the event..
Fred Goodall from Mochadad.com
Saturday lunch at the pool.
Beautiful chandelier that I couldn't stop staring at.
A big group of us hit The Strand Friday for candy and fantastical dinner. This is at La Kings Confectionary. I have been coming down to Galveston since I was a kid and never knew about this place. Totally recommend it!
Fantastic shots of some fantastical ladies I mingled with.
Since this was out of town, I stayed with some roomies at the Moody Gardens Hotel. Mucho fun!
Saturday morning view from the hotel room. So peaceful!
Tiny Prints hooked all attendees with a sweet journal. The covers varied but were all related to #blogelevated.
Aren't we a great looking group?! :) Picture taken by Juan Alanis from Juanofwords
Conference swag is the bestest!
Good looking bldg on The Strand, across from La Kings.
I hope this post has shown you how awesomesauce Blog Elevated is. I hope next year you decide to attend so that you can have this great experience under your belt!
Happy Hump Day!